New School Schedule & Supports
Good Evening Families:
I hope you are staying safe and sound at home. There is a lot of valuable information in this communication and I would suggest that you read it as a family. We are certainly living in a time that requires a lot of new behaviors and routines. Thanks to all families for your continued patience and understanding as we prepare for the temporary but historic shift to learning at home.
To that end, the GBJHS staff has been working hard over the last week getting ready to deliver as much NS public school curriculum as possible. Our government has asked schools to focus on the four core subjects, which are French Language Arts or English Language Arts, Social Studies, Science and Math. However, optional Instrumental Band and Visual Art classes are being offered.
Administration have asked teachers to work in teams (see table below)and they have answered the call. Teachers have prepared work in various forms based on the curricular outcomes at each grade level teachers will be available for one hour a day to support students. Our vision is to establish common and regular “online office hours” for our students. Our support teachers have been flexible and have made their office hours in the afternoon. I think this consistency and structure will help all of us as we move forward. Students do not need to do their work during the school schedule but that is when teachers will be available for support. Math teachers will be given direct instruction so it would be beneficial for students are online at that time.
As of April 8, the new school schedule and supports will be as follows:
• ELA/FLA, Science and Social Studies will take place from 9:30-11:00 a.m.
• Grade 7 & 8 Math will take place from 11:30-12:00 p.m.
• Grade 9 Math will take place from 12:30-1:00 p.m.
• Mr. Murphy will be available for students on his caseload on Tuesdays and Fridays (and every second Thursday on Week 1) from 1-2:00 p.m.
• Ms. Bray will be available to help students supported by resource from 2-3:00 p.m.
• Ms. Lelliott will be supporting families of students supported by the Learning Center.
• Mr. McKee, our Core French teacher will be supporting FI families from 1:00-1:30 from Monday thru Thursday.
• Ms. Baker will be connecting with students supported by the SLD program.
• Ms. Whyte will be connecting with students who are going to be using the SaltWire flyer curriculum.
• Ms. Hodgson, our Guidance Counsellor, will be setting up afternoon appointments with our students who need guidance support in the afternoon using Google Meet.
• Ms. Penwell will be online for help and Google Meet with the band kids on Tuesday and Thursdays from 1-3:00 p.m.
• Ms. Chisholm has started a Google classroom for all grades with optional art activities and ideas for students to do at home. The code for all classes 2igf3s2 and classes will happen Tuesday and Thursday from 1-3:00 p.m.
Homeroom Class Teacher Team (Mathitalicized)
701 and 702 Ms. Waterfield, Ms. Moore, Ms. Chisholm, Ms. Sullivan
703 and 704 Mme McCulloch, Mr. McKee,Mme Webber
801 and 802 Mr. DeJong, Mr. Leal, Mr. Simpson
803 and 804 Mme McCulloch, Mlle McNeil, Mr. McKee,Mlle deKoe
901-1, 901-2, 902-1, 902-2 Ms. O’Connell, Ms. MacDonald, Mr. Leal, Ms. Sullivan, Mr. Simpson
903 and 904 Mlle McNeil, Mlle Robinson, Mr. McKee, Mlle deKoe
I will be sending out some further communications as things roll out. For example, I will be letting families know the following as decisions are made by the EECD and the HRCE:
• How to access Guidance Counsellor
• Term II Report Cards process
• Grade 9 to Grade 10 Course Selection process, O2 and Skills Trade info
• Back to school procedures
• End of the year functions
• Access to building by the public
I would encourage you to visit our website on a regular basis. We are trying to keep it updated as much as possible.
Once again, thank you for taking the time to stay connected to schooling. Our teachers have put together a small video to try to connect with our families. Click on the link to view the video. It is on our school website: https://gbj.hrce.ca/
I look forward to connecting with our students in the coming months. If you have questions or concerns, please contact your student’s homeroom teacher and we will try to address your query in a timely manner.
Copy and paste or click on the following to view the video we made for our families:
David Reed |Principal |Gaetz Brook Junior High School